Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dear Books-A-Million, Go Fuck Yourself

If I've told these assholes once, I've told them a thousand times: "I don't want to join the fucking savings club". I've been going to Books-A-Million, purely out of convenience as it's next to where I work, for 7 years now. Had I ponied up the buy-in of $20 the first time you asked me, given the hundreds of books I've bought for myself, as gifts, children's books for friends, etc, I would have saved over $14 million at this point. Guess what? I don't fucking care. I want to keep paying full price. It makes me feel like a big man. I'm about 500 books in at BAM, do you think I'm going to buy into the club and start saving NOW???? I'm way too smart for that, compadre. Today, as I paid full price for David Sedaris's "Me Talk Pretty One Day", which I've heard is lovely, after I refused for the 1 millionth time the discount club, I was additionally offered incredible discounts on subscriptions to some amazingly shitty magazines. One of the magazines she specifically pointed out to me was Ebony. Monica, know your fucking audience. How many white-as-snow 32 year old males are subscribing to Ebony? If it is more than 1, and if that 1 is not some wanna-be who is trying to nail black chicks at his "crib" in his parent's basement, I'll kiss your sweet ass. I've threatened, under my breath and aimed at no one in particular, to quit coming into your store a thousand times. I began doing this 5 years ago, and I do so 75% of the times I make a purchase. One of these days I'll make good on that threat and never come in again. And then you'll be sorry.

4 comments:

  1. Amazon is cheaper anyway and you don't need a key to use your own bathroom, and don't have to contend with rude workers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been working at BAM for a month or two now and it's one of the most horrendously mismanaged companies I've ever experienced, and I've worked some pretty shitty gigs. The management CONSTANTLY harps on the scammy magazines (pure scam, for the love of god don't get any of them), threatens to send us home if we don't ask, and you get your hours cut if you don't meet goals for magazines and discount cards (they take the vinegar approach). The only people who do the magazines are the elderly and people who barely know English, aka the people who don't know any better. I feel like a complete scumbag every time I push these fucking magazines on these people, but if I don't then I don't get my shitty hours for my shitty minimum wage job.
    But to be clear, we aren't being fairly compensated or making a fat commission on the magazines. We have sales goals for this scam, even though it isn't even our own product and is managed by a third party. It feels like a last ditch money grab as the bookstore topples into insolvency (though we make decent revenues, at least $1k/week in discount cards alone and we're constantly severely understaffed, generally 1-2 people working all of merchandise).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What a shithole. I won't shop there anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ordered a book 2 months ago. It never came. They keep giving me the run around. Now they say they can't give me my money back until they have the book in hand. I don't have the book!! I wouldn't be comming to you if I did. I'll never go there again. I hope Barns & Noble buys you out!!

    ReplyDelete